I am proud to represent my clients in the most strenuous of circumstances – defending against tort claims. I believe in the companies I represent and their products, procedures, businesses, and employees. But more importantly, I strive to be an arm of my clients. I want to understand the way they work and the values central to their business because those values routinely provide the framework for a strong legal defense in the most catastrophic of circumstances.
I pride myself on understanding the science and engineering relevant to a particular accident. I work tirelessly to undermine opposing experts and the foundation of their opinions. I am proud to call myself a trial lawyer. I have first chair trial experience in federal court, state court, and numerous arbitrations. I have excluded numerous experts in numerous fields from being able to testify where their opinions were not based on sound scientific/engineering reasoning.
I am an Arizona Wildcat. I graduated from the Eller College of Management with an Accounting degree. I was named the Outstanding Accounting Student of the Year in 2003 based on carrying the highest grade point average of anyone in my graduating class. I graduated Cum Laude from the James E. Rogers College of Law at the University of Arizona in 2006.
Prior to joining Thorpe Shwer, I was a partner at Quarles & Brady LLP.
Finally, I am a proud husband and father to three independent and amazing girls. I know that one day each of them will positively change the world in their own way – no matter how big or small.
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- Arizona Supreme Court
- University of Arizona, James E. Rodgers College of Law, J.D.
- University of Arizona, B.S., summa cum laude
Honors and Awards
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Product Liability Defense
- Southwest Super Lawyers, “Rising Star”
- Although he is based in Arizona, Ryan routinely represents his clients across the United States. Ryan’s clients send him anywhere, anytime to defend them. Below are some of the highlights from Ryan’s career to date:
- Represented companies in the following industries/products: cargo and utility trailers, car movers, pool and spa filtration equipment, heavy earth moving equipment, consumer and commercial tires, consumer products of all types (including water filtration devices, refrigerators, and microwaves), hotel services, golf carts, chemicals, and oil and gas.
- Defends companies against the following types of claims: product liability, warranty, construction defect, premise liability, wrongful death, and general negligence.
- National product liability counsel for the largest domestic manufacturer of water filtration devices for over a decade.
- In 2014, Ryan was lead trial counsel in a product liability action, and secured a full defense verdict, in the U.S. District Court for the District of Central California (a traditionally plaintiff friendly jurisdiction). The jury took approximately 20 minutes to return the verdict.
- In 2018, Ryan was trial counsel for the nation’s largest do-it-yourself moving company in Maricopa County, Arizona. Prior to trial the judge issued a summary judgment ruling that his client’s product violated one of Arizona’s statutes and instructed the jury on negligence per se. Despite the horrific odds in light of that pending jury instruction, the jury returned a full defense verdict in favor of Ryan’s client following the 4-week trial. The verdict was identified as the second most significant defense verdict in the State of Arizona in 2018 (As highlighted by Arizona Attorney Magazine here). Additionally, Courtroom View Network identified the verdict as the second most impressive product liability defense verdict in the country in 2018.
- Ryan and his wife were selected as “Couple of the Year” by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation in 2008.
- Arizona Law College Association, Board Member
- University of Arizona College of Law, 2010 Young Alumnus of the Year
- Boys & Girls Club of Phoenix, Volunteer