I am proud to represent my clients in the most strenuous of circumstances – defending against tort claims. I believe in the companies I represent and their products, procedures, businesses, and employees. But more importantly, I strive to be an arm of my clients. I want to understand the way they work and the values central to their business because those values routinely provide the framework for a strong legal defense in the most catastrophic of circumstances.
I pride myself on understanding the science and engineering relevant to a particular accident. I work tirelessly to undermine opposing experts and the foundation of their opinions. I am proud to have excluded numerous experts in numerous fields from being able to testify where their opinions were not based on sound scientific/engineering reasoning.
I am an Arizona Wildcat. I graduated from the Eller College of Management with an Accounting degree. I was named the Outstanding Accounting Student of the Year in 2003 based on carrying the highest grade point average of anyone in my graduating class. I graduated Cum Laude from the James E. Rogers College of Law at the University of Arizona in 2006.
Prior to joining Thorpe Shwer, I was a partner at Quarles & Brady LLP, a large national law firm.
Finally, I am a proud husband and father to three independent and amazing girls. I know that one day each of them will positively change the world in their own way – no matter how big or small.
– State of Arizona
– United States District Court, District of Arizona
– University of Arizona, James E. Rodgers College of Law, J.D.
– University of Arizona, Bachelor’s
Honors and Awards
• I was selected as “Rising Star” by Southwest Superior Lawyer from 2013-2016.
• In 2018-2019, I was selected as a Super Lawyer by Southwest Super Lawyers in the area of Product Liability Defense.
I am proud to call myself a trial lawyer. I have first chair trial experience in federal court, state court, and numerous arbitrations. Below are just some of my accomplishments:
• I have represented companies in the following industries/products: cargo and utility trailers, car movers, pool and spa filtration equipment, heavy earth moving equipment, consumer and commercial tires, consumer products of all types (including water filtration devices, refrigerators, and microwaves), hotel services, golf carts, chemicals, and oil and gas.
• I routinely defended companies against the following types of claims: product liability, warranty, construction defect, premise liability, wrongful death, and general negligence.
• I have been the national product liability counsel for over a decade for the largest domestic manufacturer of water filtration devices.
• In 2014, I was lead trial counsel and secured a full defense verdict in a product liability action pending in the federal court in the Central District of California (a traditionally plaintiff friendly jurisdiction). The jury took approximately 20 minutes to return the verdict.
• In 2018, I was trial counsel for the nation’s largest do-it-yourself moving company in a 4 week trial in Maricopa County, Arizona. Pre-trial the judge issued a summary judgment ruling that my client’s product violated one of Arizona’s statutes and gave a negligence per se instruction to the jury. Despite the horrific odds with that pending instruction, the jury returned a full defense verdict in favor of my client. The verdict was identified as the second most significant defense verdict in the State of Arizona in 2018 (http://www.azattorneymag-digital.com/azattorneymag/201906/MobilePagedReplica.action?pm=2&folio=20#pg23). Additionally, Courtroom View Network identified the verdict as the second most impressive product liability defense verdict in the country in 2018.
• My clients send me anywhere, anytime to defend them. I routinely represent my clients across the United States, not just in Arizona.
My wife and I were selected as a “Couple of the Year” in Arizona by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation in 2008. I serve my alma mater as a board member for the Arizona Law College Association. In 2010, I was honored as the Young Alumni of the Year by the University of Arizona College of Law. Furthermore, I spent years coaching middle school basketball at numerous Boys & Girls Club branches throughout the Phoenix area.