Lorena Van Assche
Lorena practices in the areas of business, commercial, lending, and trust and estate litigation. Lorena has experience resolving disputes involving business, financial, and employment contracts, restrictive covenants, real estate, commercial leases, and wills and trusts. Her clients include businesses, financial institutions, commercial landlords and tenants, developers, entrepreneurs, and public entities.
Lorena is a passionate supporter of the Hispanic community. As a first-generation American whose first language is Spanish, Lorena grew up in the border town of Yuma, Arizona and spent significant time across the border in Ciudad Morelos, Baja California, Mexico.
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- Arizona Supreme Court
- Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Arizona State University, W.P. Carey School of Business, B.S. in Accountancy
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, by Martindale-Hubbell
- Southwest Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2012-2020
- State Bar of Arizona: Hal Israel Community Service Award
- Represented national banking institution against lender liability claims including non-renewals of matured loans, fraud, and general negligence claims.
- Represented national banking institutions in commercial lending disputes including clams of breach of contract, enforcement and defense of commercial loan agreements, foreclosures on real and personal property, forbearance agreements, receiverships, loan restructuring, and collateral securitization.
- Represented national hotel group in employment lawsuit filed by a former employee alleging breach of employment contract claim seeking early termination payments, expense reimbursements, and incentive performance fees.
- Represented professional athlete in his intellectual property ownership claim against a former business partner who filed a fraudulent patent application and produced a competing product.
- Represented national transportation company against claims for breach of a labor agreement filed by a local chapter of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters involving a card check and neutrality agreement.
- Represented technology company in negotiating an insurance claim under the client’s crime protection policy to recover former employee’s theft of company goods.
- Represented private equity company in enforcing loans made to a former business partner.
- Represented national risk mitigation company with enforcing the company’s non-compete agreements.
- Represented commercial landlords in commercial evictions of tenants.
- Represented corporate trustees in breach of fiduciary litigation.
- Represented trustees and beneficiaries in wills and trusts disputes.
- United States Commission on Civil Rights, Arizona Advisory Committee, Chair
- Arizona Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors and Arizona-Mexico Committee
- Desert Botanical Garden, Community and Audience Engagement Committee