Brad is a co-founding partner of Thorpe Shwer who practices in the areas of business and commercial litigation, personal injury torts, and products liability. He represents his clients in a variety of contractual disputes, business tort claims, personal injury defense, product liability claims, collections, franchise litigation, premises liability claims, insurance litigation, and deficiency actions. Brad has litigated and tried cases in numerous states around the country in both federal and state court.
Along with his partner Bill, Brad co-founded Thorpe Shwer to create a law firm that provides quality litigation services, as well as a dedication to strong client relationships, efficient and aggressive representation, and personal service. In other words, Brad believes that clients should receive top-shelf quality plus top-shelf service.
Brad advises and represents a diverse group of clients that range from Fortune 500 companies to individual entrepreneurs. His clients include national franchisors, massage and spa providers, restaurants, bars, product manufacturers, transportation companies, railroads, financial institutions, software companies, real estate entities, medical practices, moving companies, and a wide variety of small businesses.
Prior to co-founding Thorpe Shwer, Brad served as a Director at Fennemore Craig, where he and Bill Thorpe comprised the railroad litigation team. During his tenure, the firm was nationally recognized as one of the preeminent practices in the United States when it was ranked as a “First Tier” national practice by US News & Best Lawyers.
Brad is well-recognized and respected in the Arizona legal community. The Phoenix Business Journal named him to its 2011 “40 Under 40” list of Arizona leaders and rising stars in the legal industry. He is also a Southwest Super Lawyer, as well as AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (the highest rating available), by Martindale-Hubbell. Brad was also recently named to the Best Lawyers in America list.
Brad is active in the community, including serving as an adjunct law professor at Arizona State University College of Law and on the Board of Directors for the MVP Foundation. He is also a founding and current Board Member of the Phoenix Children’s Hospital PCH50 Men’s Council and previously served as the President of the Board of Directors for the American Liver Foundation.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- Arizona Supreme Court
- Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Maricopa County Governor’s Award for Student Volunteer of the Year
- Northern Arizona University, B.S., cum laude
- State Bar of Arizona, Member
- Young Lawyers Division, Maricopa County Bar Association, Member,
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, Member
- Volunteer Lawyers Program, Member
- Arizona State University College of Law, Adjunct Professor
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America
- Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona, AZ Business Magazine
- Southwest Super Lawyers
- Phoenix Business Journal: 40 Under 40 honoree
- Benchmark: Local Litigation Star
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms”, First-Tier National Ranking, Railroad Law
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, by Martindale-Hubbell
Articles and Presentations
Commentator, “Philosophy, Politics, and Law Conference,” Northern Arizona University (April 2011)
- Serves as national tort counsel for massage and spa services provider with franchises in 49 states.
- Represents large multi-state restaurant chain in all aspects of its business, including franchise litigation.
- Represents one of Arizona’s premier moving companies in litigation, employment matters, regulatory compliance, and collections.
- Represents the largest manufacturer and marketer of glass tableware products in the Western Hemisphere in multiple states in product liability claims.
- Represents one of the nation’s largest Class I freight railroads in tort litigation, including defense of Federal Employers Liability Act claims, grade crossing accidents, and other personal injury claims.
- Represents one of the largest privately owned traffic safety companies in the United States in variety of litigation, including tort defense, commercial litigation, and collections, as well as corporate issues and other matters.
- Represents numerous product manufacturers in catastrophic tort cases, as well as commercial disputes
- Represents numerous property owners in premises liability claims and commercial disputes
- Represents one of the largest international providers of healthcare IT and consulting solutions to hospitals and insurers in litigation and employment matters.
- Represents numerous corporate entities in a variety of complex commercial litigation matters related to a variety of different industries, including telecommunications, transportation, moving and storage, professional services, real estate, and manufacturing.
- Represents numerous individuals in shareholder, partner, and other business disputes
- Represented various national insurance companies in large-loss subrogation recovery for western 12 United States, including litigation, arbitration and mediation in at least 7 states.
- Represented various national insurance companies in general insurance defense matters, including liquor liability, premises liability and product liability matters.
- Represented numerous contractors, developers, and owners in variety of litigation, including contractual disputes, code compliance, and construction defect allegations.
- Represented professional baseball team in player salary arbitrations under the Basic Agreement between Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association.
- Represented professional baseball team before the United States Supreme Court in opposing petition for Writ of Certiorari for litigation related to ticket sales and proceeds.
- Represented sports marketing and advertising companies in issues related to business development and employment concerns.
- Represented individual in immigration appeal to the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit regarding deportation order.
- American Liver Foundation – Desert Southwest Division, Former President
- Hoops 4 Hope
- The MVP Foundation, Board of Directors,
- Phoenix Children’s Hospital – PCH50 Men’s Council, Founding Board Member