Brad is a co-founding partner of Thorpe Shwer who practices in the areas of business and commercial litigation, personal injury torts, and products liability. Along with his partner Bill, Brad co-founded Thorpe Shwer to create a law firm that provides quality litigation services, as well as a dedication to strong client relationships, efficient and aggressive representation, and personal service. In other words, Brad believes that clients should receive top-shelf quality plus top-shelf service.
He represents his clients in a variety of contractual disputes, business tort claims, personal injury defense, product liability claims, collections, franchise litigation, premises liability claims, insurance litigation, and deficiency actions. Brad has litigated and tried cases in numerous states around the country in both federal and state court. His clients are a diverse group ranging from Fortune 500 companies to individual entrepreneurs. They include national franchisors, massage and spa providers, big-box retailers, ridesharing companies, restaurants, bars, product manufacturers, transportation companies, railroads, financial institutions, software companies, real estate entities, medical practices, moving companies, and a wide variety of small businesses.
Prior to co-founding Thorpe Shwer, Brad served as a Director at Fennemore Craig. Brad is well-recognized and respected in the Arizona legal community. including being named of the top 50 lawyers in Arizona by Southwest Super Lawyers and one of the top 100 lawyers in Arizona by AZ Business Magazine. He is also AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (the highest rating available), by Martindale-Hubbell and has routinely been named to the Best Lawyers in America list. In addition, the Phoenix Business Journal recognized him on its 2011 “40 Under 40” list of Arizona leaders and rising stars in the legal industry.
Brad is active in the community, including serving as an adjunct law professor at Arizona State University College of Law and as a founding Board Member for the PCH50 with Phoenix Children’s Hospital. He has previously served on the Board of Directors for the MVP Foundation and as the President of the Board of Directors for the American Liver Foundation.
Outside of the office, Brad spends much of his time with his wife Arianna watching their three daughters compete in various sports or hiking around Arizona with their three dogs. Brad and his family also love traveling the world to experience as much of it as they can, including visits back to his native South Africa. An avid hiker (with Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Olympus under his belt so far), Brad also tries to sneak in his favorite “heat hikes” up Piestawa Peak during the hottest time of the day in the summer months.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- Arizona Supreme Court
- Arizona State University, Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Maricopa County Governor’s Award for Student Volunteer of the Year
- Northern Arizona University, B.S., cum laude
- State Bar of Arizona, Member
- Young Lawyers Division, Maricopa County Bar Association, Member,
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, Member
- Volunteer Lawyers Program, Member
- Arizona State University College of Law, Adjunct Professor
Honors and Awards
- Southwest Super Lawyers ® , Top 50 Lawyers in Arizona
- Best Lawyers in America
- Top 100 Lawyers in Arizona, AZ Business Magazine
- Arizona State University Sun Devil 100 honoree
- Southwest Super Lawyers
- Phoenix Business Journal: 40 Under 40 Honoree
- Benchmark: Local Litigation Star
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, by Martindale-Hubbell
Articles and Presentations
Commentator, “Philosophy, Politics, and Law Conference,” Northern Arizona University (April 2011)
- Serves as national tort counsel for largest massage and spa services provider in the country with franchises in 49 states.
- Represents one of the nation’s largest ridesharing companies in Arizona tort litigation
- Represents many of the nation’s largest big-box retailers in commercial and lease disputes
- Represents large multi-state restaurant chain in all aspects of its business, including franchise litigation.
- Represents one of Arizona’s premier moving companies in litigation, employment matters, regulatory compliance, and collections.
- Represents the largest manufacturer and marketer of glass tableware products in the Western Hemisphere in multiple states in product liability claims.
- Represents one of the largest privately owned traffic safety companies in the United States in variety of litigation, including tort defense, commercial litigation, and collections, as well as corporate issues and other matters.
- Represents some of the country’s largest moving and trucking companies in commercial disputes and catastrophic injury cases
- Represents solar companies in commercial disputes throughout Arizona
- Represents numerous product manufacturers in catastrophic tort cases, as well as commercial disputes
- Represents numerous property owners in premises liability claims and commercial disputes
- Represents one of the largest international providers of healthcare IT and consulting solutions to hospitals and insurers in litigation and employment matters.
- Represents one of the nation’s largest Class I freight railroads in tort litigation, including defense of Federal Employers Liability Act claims, grade crossing accidents, and other personal injury claims.
- Represents numerous corporate entities in a variety of complex commercial litigation matters related to a variety of different industries, including telecommunications, transportation, moving and storage, professional services, real estate, and manufacturing.
- Represents numerous individuals in shareholder, partner, and other business disputes
- Represents various national insurance companies in general insurance defense matters, including liquor liability, premises liability and product liability matters.
- Represents numerous contractors, developers, and owners in variety of litigation, including contractual disputes, code compliance, and construction defect allegations.
- Represented professional baseball team in player salary arbitrations under the Basic Agreement between Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association.
- Represented professional baseball team before the United States Supreme Court in opposing petition for Writ of Certiorari for litigation related to ticket sales and proceeds.
- Represented various national insurance companies in large-loss subrogation recovery for western 12 United States, including litigation, arbitration and mediation in at least 7 states.
- Phoenix Children’s Hospital – PCH50, Founding Board Member
- Arizona State University College of Law, Adjunct Professor
- American Liver Foundation – Desert Southwest Division, Former President
- Hoops 4 Hope
- The MVP Foundation, Board of Directors, Former Member
- Gridiron Greats Phoenix Executive Board, Board Member