Matthew practices in the areas of product liability, commercial litigation, premises liability, personal injury torts, medical malpractice and franchise matters. He has experience litigating disputes for a diverse group of clients of all sizes in a wide variety of industries, and has represented multiple Fortune 500 companies throughout his career, as well as smaller locally-based companies and individuals. While in law school at Pepperdine, Matthew clerked for the U.S. District Court, Central District of California, and externed at the California Department of Corporations in the Securities Enforcement Division, and participated in the school’s London study abroad program, during which he visited Pamplona, Spain to run with the bulls.
• U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
• Arizona Supreme Court
• U.S. District Court, Central District of California
• California Supreme Court
• Nevada Supreme Court
• U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
• Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
• Pepperdine University School of Law, J.D.
• California State University, Fresno, B.S.
• DRI – Defense Research Institute, Member
• CLM – Claims Litigation Management, Member
• NARTC – National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, Member
• Los Abogados, Member
• Represents a national franchisor of massage and spa clinics with franchises in all 50 states, including serving as the franchisor’s national defense counsel for various kinds of tort claims.
• Represents trucking companies including defense of personal injury claims.
• Represents product manufactures in high-exposure claims of personal injury and property damage.
• Handles professional liability matters, including agent and director & officer liability.
• Prevailed summary judgment in an abuse of process case on behalf of national office supply company involving employment law and trade secret disputes.
• Assisted at trial in representing behavioral health facility in wrongful death case arising from patient suicide.
• Represented a franchisor in the urban micro-winery industry, for whom Matthew successfully moved for dismissal of a franchisee’s fraud lawsuit while obtaining a several hundred thousand dollar judgment for the franchisor in a counterclaim asserted against the franchisee.
• Prevailed on summary judgment and obtained a complete indemnity award for a high-end sushi restaurant in Los Angeles in a high-exposure injury case.